The cost is $6.00 per person and will be collected at the picnic. There will be great burgers and dogs with all the trimmings. This will be prepared and served by the 249th Living History Organization. (The $5.00 day use fee will be waived for attendees.) Reservations are welcome. Call 503.861.1470 or Email here!
Some Current and Recent FOOFS Projects:
Maintaining the Memorial Rose Garden
Supported funding of repairs for Battery 245 lighting
Funded a reprint of the Battery Russell brochure
Funding of weekend living history events for visitors
PLANTING CONTROLLED SUBMARINE MINES. On the Columbia River, from the time of the Spanish American War through 1901, the Corps of engineers was responsible for the planting and operation of the mine field. From 1901 through World War II, the Coast Artillery was in charge. It was a dangerous business in the Columbia River harbor with its swift tides and currents.
Shortly after World War II, Fort Stevens was deactivated as a military fort. The development of improved air power and guided missiles made coastal artillery forts such as Fort Stevens obsolete. By 1947, all of the guns were removed and much of the fort was turned over to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The Corps used the area as their headquarters for maintenance activities at the mouth of the Columbia River. In 1975, Oregon State Parks leased the old fort area and are currently restoring and interpreting Fort Stevens.Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!